QOTW: QBADS 2023
Sponsored by MFS Investment Management.
This week we asked plan sponsors if they have adopted the provision in SECURE 1.0 passed in 2019 that allows for a penalty-free distribution within one year of a birth or adoption of a child (QBAD provision). We first asked this question in 2021 at a member’s request as they were deciding whether or not to offer it. At that time, 20 percent of plans were adopting this provision with 22 percent unsure/considering and 58 percent not looking to adopt it. It seems that a large percent of those considering it decided against it as three-quarters have not and are not considering adopting the QBAD provision.
- Just one of many options/decisions during the busy first quarter, we will get around to it.
- Our company feels that we are helping participants save for retirement, so we limit the number of hardship withdrawals.
- Our philosophy is to encourage participants to leave their money in the plan until retirement, so we limit withdrawals as much as we can.
- Scheduled to adopt this one in April
- The option has aligned with our company’s philosophy of supporting employees and their families.
- We are gathering more information on this to determine if it is something we are interested in adopting.
- We are still considering and may adopt once more clarification is provided.
Sign In to Comment