Acknowledging the significant potential role of Health Savings Accounts (HSAs) as a retirement savings vehicle, PSCA created a committee in 2016 to study the intersection of HSAs and retirement. In the spring of 2017, PSCA conducted its first snapshot survey of companies that offer HSA-qualifying health plans to establish a baseline on HSA plan design and use, followed by a comprehensive benchmarking survey in 2019.
The inaugural HSA benchmarking survey received responses from 189 employers that offered an HSA-qualifying health plan in 2018. The survey revealed that most employees eligible for an HSA open one (more than 90 percent), most employers make contributions to the HSA (more than 80 percent), and most (nearly 86 percent) offer investment options. The biggest concern from employers regarding HSAs is employee education.
Since then, PSCA has conducted an annual HSA survey, releasing the 4th annual edition in October 2022, and reflecting the 2021 data from 464 organizations.
Additional HSA Resources
White Paper: What's Holding Back HSAs
Beyond Contributions and Saving — The Importance of HSA Investing
Defined Contribution Insights, Winter 2019
Achieving Better HSA Engagement
Defined Contribution Insights, Summer 2019
Is Medicare Causing Problems for your Health Savings Account (HSA)?
Defined Contribution Insights, Spring 2019
- Chair: Karin Rettger, President, Principal Resource Group, Inc.
- Vice Chair: Carol Sedlacko, Manager, Benefits & Payroll, Austin Powder Company
- Ann Brisk, SVP, Director of Strategic Partnership Growth, HSA Bank
- Sara Caddy, Benefits Manager, Dimensional Fund Advisors
- Laura Stamps, Senior Consultant, Financial Finesse
- Yvette George, Human Resources Director, Henrico County
- Blanca Gonzalez Karim, Sr. Manager, Employee Benefits, PBS
- Kimberly Hanlon, Sr Manager Total Rewards, Supernal Aero
- Patty Hurley, Benefits Manager, American College of Surgeons
- Mercedes Ikard, Director, Integrated Benefits Operations, The Walt Disney Company
- Tara Kahler, Human Resources Specialist, Whiteford, Taylor & Preston, LLP
- Bob LIegl, Global Benefits Manager, Talend Inc.
- Peter Lohri, COO, Enterprise Iron Financial Industry Solutions
- Dan Milfred, CFO, Pacific Woodtech
- Cynthia Obenland, Manager, Benefits/HRIS, Precision Medicine Group
- Alyona Richey, Director of Benefits, McDermott Will & Emery